Re: www. not working

On Feb 20, 2008 11:47 AM, Stut <stuttle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Daniel Brown wrote:
> >     Jocularity aside, DNS was invented in 1983 (shortly after TCP/IP),
> > whereas the WorldWide Web was first "invented" in 1990.  However, if
>
> 1989 actually.

    Without putting too much issue into semantics, it wasn't called
the "WorldWide Web" until sometime around Christmas, 1990.  There's
probably still an archived version of that first conversation on
USENET.

> > you remember ENQUIRE (on ARPANET), which was created by Tom
> > Berners-Lee (I had to look up his name, I couldn't remember it), the
>
> That would be Tim. In fact it's Sir Tim if you want to be pedantic.

    I believe the word I'm looking for is "D'oh!"  And considering the
fact that I explained that I had to look his name up at that moment
makes it all the worse, so perhaps the word should be shouted at the
top of my lungs.

> > same guy who went on to create the Web, you may remember it existed
> > before DNS.  So essentially, even though it wasn't yet known as the
> > WorldWide Web, a form of it did exist before the Domain Name System.
>
> "A form" of the web existing long before that depending on your
> definition of the web. To me it's a way for people to share information.
> That would cover the BBS world which pre-dates LANs by some distance.

    Again, it's all in semantics, but I completely agree.

> Anyhoo, back to work.

    Yup.... unfortunately....

--
</Dan>

Daniel P. Brown
Senior Unix Geek
<? while(1) { $me = $mind--; sleep(86400); } ?>