Re: PHP/mySQL dropping zeros after inserting number into record

On Sat, February 16, 2008 5:22 pm, Rob Gould wrote:
> I've got a PHP script that inserts "00012345678" into a record in a
> mySQL database (it's a barcode).  Things work ok unless the number has
> preceding zeros, and then the zeros get cut off and all I get is
> "12345678".
>
> I have the mySQL database fieldtype set to bigint(14).  If the maximum
> length a barcode can be is 14, is there a better fieldtype to use that
> will keep the zeros?
>
> (or some way for PHP to tell mySQL not to chop off the zeros?)

I personally would have used char(14) for a barcode, since it's really
a 14-character fixed-width thing.

You could use formatting on the output to get the leading zeros:
sprintf("%0,14d", $barcode); //or somesuch http://php.net/sprintf

And comparisons within MySQL should type-juggle to int, and make
things work out...

So, really, the bigint(14) should be okay, once you format the output
to "look right"

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?