Re: Template system in PHP

Michael McGlothlin wrote:

REST is the new SOAP.  Yaml is the new XML.  I'm guessing this news
just hasn't made it into any PHP frameworks yet.
REST is fine for small communications but really isn't a very good solution for large and complex communication. SOAP is the 600 pound gorilla. Usually I use XML-RPC because it's sort of the middle ground. I usually use REST mostly for simple services that just need a simple trigger and response - often stuff I want to run from cron jobs. I save SOAP for the rare job that REST or XML-RPC can't do although in those cases I usually stop to consider if I'm making the problem more complex than it needs to be.

YAML doesn't seem significantly easier (faster & less intensive) to parse than XML, it doesn't seem as flexible as XML, and it's less familiar for developers to work with so I don't really see the benefit. It seems to exist entirely because some people didn't like the way XML looked. It might be slightly smaller than XML but that's hardly an issue since you can always compress your data. YAML fits in the same boat as people pushing binary XML. It doesn't really make a lot of sense. It's almost always cheaper to throw more CPU time at a problem than man hours and YAML is less obvious to work with than XML so it doesn't make business sense. If you really want something fast and non-intensive to parse then use tab-separated values or something similar.

--
Michael McGlothlin
Southwest Plumbing Supply

*wades in*
XML is by far superior to anything else out there for one reason and one reason only; the DOM API.

Concider a "node" or an "element" compared to an array or a typical variable, no contest in terms of functionality at all; attributes alone win it hands down, without taking into account parent/child nodes, namespaces, nodeNames & nodeTypes, pervious, next.. not to mention the associated methods for inserting, appending, searching by tagname & namespace.

More than this, DOM functionality is available both server and client side, with exactly the same value names and function names.

XML is the perfect transport for DOM "objects" between servers, programs and clients; it's already widespread and not used properly nearly enough.

The only drawback I can find is the lack of storage support, unless somebody out there knows a way to full text a specific node type in 10k xml documents as wuick as you could query a column on 10k db rows?

*ducks out*