Re: Template system in PHP

Nathan Nobbe wrote:
On Feb 12, 2008 7:42 PM, Michael McGlothlin <michaelm@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:michaelm@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    > REST is the new SOAP.  Yaml is the new XML.  I'm guessing this news
    > just hasn't made it into any PHP frameworks yet.

    YAML doesn't seem significantly easier (faster & less intensive) to
    parse than XML, it doesn't seem as flexible as XML, and it's less
    familiar for developers to work with so I don't really see the
    benefit.
    It seems to exist entirely because some people didn't like the way XML
    looked. It might be slightly smaller than XML but that's hardly an
    issue
    since you can always compress your data. YAML fits in the same boat as
    people pushing binary XML. It doesn't really make a lot of sense. It's
    almost always cheaper to throw more CPU time at a problem than man
    hours
    and YAML is less obvious to work with than XML so it doesn't make
    business sense. If you really want something fast and non-intensive to
    parse then use tab-separated values or something similar.

damn dude, i couldnt have put it better myself if i tried.
i whole-heartedly agree. this is one situation where i feel throwing some hardware at it is totally appropriate. the only place you wont escape is the cost on the
network, but you could always get more bandwidth too, right ? :)
Compression is a good choice for abusing your CPU more to free up network resources. So network resources shouldn't be much of an issue.
btw. if there are schemas or dtds out there for what im working on, i will always run my xml against them and that makes it pretty damn easy to track down problems. and if there isnt a dtd or schema file, its usually some syntax i whipped up for a little
project.  and yes, i know yaml has support for validation..
Validation is handy although my experience is that often vendors don't bother making sure their stuff validates against their own schemas. Sort off annoying if you have no choice but to work with them. Usually the same vendors have crappy documentation too.

--
Michael McGlothlin
Southwest Plumbing Supply