Re: Name of variable to string [SOLVED]

Daniel Brown schreef:
On Feb 8, 2008 4:17 PM, tedd <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 10:31 AM -0500 2/8/08, Daniel Brown wrote:
 > On Feb 8, 2008, at 10:14 AM, tedd wrote:
 > Hi gang:
 >
 > From a variable with the name of $this_variable -- how do I get a
 > > string 'this_variable' ?
    What Tedd means is this:  ;-P
BINGO! We have a winner!

For those of you who want to know what I'm doing with the solution,
please review:

  http://www.webbytedd.com/bbbb/var-string/index.php

Warning: Geek meters should be worn at all times and exposure should
be limited. All code is shown.

The "problem" that I was seeking a solution for was simply an easier
way to grab POST and GET variables and place them into SESSIONs while
keeping the most current values current.

I'm a little disappointed in the solution because I wanted the
statements to be:

$post_var = sessionize_post($post_var);
$get_var = sessionize_get($ger_var);

But, the function provided by Daniel (and found in the literature)
would not work from within my session_post and session_get functions
-- I think it's probably something to do with the scope of the
variable.

In any event, I had to alter the calls to:

     $post_var = @sessionize_post($post_var, vname($post_var));
     $get_var = @sessionize_get($get_var, vname($get_var));

I don't see why this has to be so convoluted - it would be a heck of
a lot easier to do it with a string:

$post_var = @sessionize_post('post_var');

so why exactly is that not an option (or good idea)?

You see, there can be reasons why someone would want to know the
variable's name.

Thanks Daniel and to all who commented.

    And thank you for putting credit where it was really due.  I knew
I had gotten that code a couple of years ago from somewhere, but
couldn't remember where.  I hadn't written it, only modified it.  I'm
going to update my code now to put the "thanks to" section in there to
the person who deserves the credit: Lucas Karisny (lucas dot karisny
at linuxmail dot org).

    I had tried to find that each time I referenced the code or used
it myself, but never did.  If only I had R'd TFM.  :-\