Re: Name of variable to string [SOLVED]

On Feb 8, 2008 4:17 PM, tedd <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 10:31 AM -0500 2/8/08, Daniel Brown wrote:
> >  > On Feb 8, 2008, at 10:14 AM, tedd wrote:
> >>
> >>  > Hi gang:
> >>  >
> >>  > From a variable with the name of $this_variable -- how do I get a
> >  > > string 'this_variable' ?
> >>
> >     What Tedd means is this:  ;-P
>
> BINGO! We have a winner!
>
> For those of you who want to know what I'm doing with the solution,
> please review:
>
>   http://www.webbytedd.com/bbbb/var-string/index.php
>
> Warning: Geek meters should be worn at all times and exposure should
> be limited. All code is shown.
>
> The "problem" that I was seeking a solution for was simply an easier
> way to grab POST and GET variables and place them into SESSIONs while
> keeping the most current values current.
>
> I'm a little disappointed in the solution because I wanted the
> statements to be:
>
> $post_var = sessionize_post($post_var);
> $get_var = sessionize_get($ger_var);
>
> But, the function provided by Daniel (and found in the literature)
> would not work from within my session_post and session_get functions
> -- I think it's probably something to do with the scope of the
> variable.
>
> In any event, I had to alter the calls to:
>
>      $post_var = @sessionize_post($post_var, vname($post_var));
>      $get_var = @sessionize_get($get_var, vname($get_var));
>
> You see, there can be reasons why someone would want to know the
> variable's name.
>
> Thanks Daniel and to all who commented.

    And thank you for putting credit where it was really due.  I knew
I had gotten that code a couple of years ago from somewhere, but
couldn't remember where.  I hadn't written it, only modified it.  I'm
going to update my code now to put the "thanks to" section in there to
the person who deserves the credit: Lucas Karisny (lucas dot karisny
at linuxmail dot org).

    I had tried to find that each time I referenced the code or used
it myself, but never did.  If only I had R'd TFM.  :-\

--
</Dan>

Daniel P. Brown
Senior Unix Geek
<? while(1) { $me = $mind--; sleep(86400); } ?>