Re: Recommended ORM for PHP

On 2/6/08, Nathan Nobbe <quickshiftin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ruby on rails as one of these obfusticators of fowlers original pattern;

I don't see how code generation could ever be worse (slower) than
runtime analysis.  Sure you have to hit the database once to know what
the fields are, but after that your overhead drops to only include
whatever generated code you made from your fields knowledge.

The Rails ActiveRecord implementation _does it all_ I can tell you.
I'm using (and reversing parts of it where required) to build out a
generic database admin tool.  Have a look:

http://railsdb.org/

At this point I've successfully hooked it up to Oracle, MySQL,
PostgreSQL, and SQLite.

> greg, thoughts ?

I like pie.

Martin Fowler +1, if you're a software developer and don't own any
books by him, you should.

--
Greg Donald
http://destiney.com/