Re: how dod you get to do multiple mysql queries concurrently?

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 01:08 +0100, Jochem Maas wrote:
> the column spec. what kind of geomtery column is it? and

A geographical "geometry" i.e. a projected data set of Geo data.

> are you using it as a primary key? or some else

No, the integer gid is usually a primary key still. The geo data is
indexed though.

>  ... if so what kind

AFAIK it is a modified bTree index - but I will have to look closer to
give you a more correct answer.

> of stuff are you storing in there? also in what way are you
> using it that gives you such a speed boost with queries?

Simply an index that is specific to a geometry.

> I read the mysql docs, I understand the principles but I'm having
> a hard time figuring out how to apply in practice in terms of
> making use of the performance gains you mentione ... specifically
> in a web environment where heavy queries are often along the lines
> of paginated data combined with user defined filters (e.g. a product
> list sorted by price, etc and filter on type/category/keyword/etc)

The web environment that we are talking about here is not really all
that webby ;) It is more of a web frontend to a _very_ powerful database
system...

> sorry if I'm sounding like a idiot :-)

Not at all, how do we learn if we don't ask questions? There is no such
thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers...

--Paul

All Email originating from UWC is covered by disclaimer
http://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/public/portal_services/disclaimer.htm