Re: Re: disable referer ? (was: Framed & Linked Content)

Richard Lynch wrote:

>>> It CANNOT be tied to the IP address, because most users' IP
>>> addresses are not static.
>>
>> I think it is for the duration of the session. Mine certainly is.
>
> Yours might be.
> AOL users are *NOT*.
> In peak periods, an AOL users' IP address with change with every HTTP
> request.

Surely you are joking??  Don't they use DHCP for dishing out addresses?
I guess AOL users just have to do without https during peak hours :-)

> Further, large corporate users will ALL appear as a single IP address.

Yes, that's assuming they're using NAT - which many small and large
entities will be, I agree.   In such cases, if the session id _is_
somehow tied to the IP-address, any attempt to hijack the session from
outside the NAT'ed network will fail.

>> Regardless, I did some googling and read a bit about session
>> hijacking and such.  I still don't see much of a serious problem.
>> When Firefox switches off REFERER by default, we can talk again.
>
> Suppose only 0.1% of the Internet users have REFERER off.
>
> You say "That's not much.  0.1%"
>
> Now suppose there are a billion people who use the Internet.
>
> What is 0.1% of a billion?
>
> Do the math.

10million.  But what I said was that _maybe_ 0.00X% have REFERER
switched off - and 0.001% of 1billion is 10.000 people.  I can live
with that.

> If you have even a few thousand visitors, you are likely getting at
> least a few that have no REFERER...

Like I said, I can live with that.  If people are that paranoid, they
shouldn't be on the internet at all, IMHO.

/Per Jessen, Zürich