Re: Re: disable referer ? (was: Framed & Linked Content)

Richard Lynch wrote:

> On Tue, January 29, 2008 12:48 pm, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Robert Cummings wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, now you made me think on it... the primary reason I
>>> disable
>>> referrer logging is because it will also pass along lovely
>>> information
>>> such as any session ID embedded in the URL. So if you happen to get
>>> on
>>> a malicious site, they could access the account from which you've
>>> come.
>>
>> Hmm, interesting idea.  I wonder if the sessionid isn't tied to the
>> IP-address even when it's part of the URL?
>
> It CANNOT be tied to the IP address, because most users' IP addresses
> are not static.

I think it is for the duration of the session. Mine certainly is.

> Google for "session hijacking" for more info.
>
>> Still, I can't help thinking that if this is a serious problem, it
>> would have been dealt with long ago.
>
> War is a serious problem.
>
> So is murder.
>
> So is people cutting me off in traffic. :-v
>
> None of them have been dealt with effectively yet.

Sure it has - nobody cuts me off in traffic here. :-)

Regardless, I did some googling and read a bit about session hijacking
and such.  I still don't see much of a serious problem.  When Firefox
switches off REFERER by default, we can talk again.

/Per Jessen, Zürich