Re: first php 5 class

On Jan 30, 2008 10:58 PM, Jochem Maas <jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> besides being a nightmare, portage doesn't answer the question of rolling out stuff
> to multiple machines simultaneously.

portage is one of the most elegant software distribution mechanisms
ever created.
and you dont have to have a cluster to leverage its usefulness.  how
would i push
to multiple machines simultaneously, probly batch an emerge of the
latest version
of my code as soon as its available in my proprietary overlay.  the
remote machines
periodically poll the source box for the latest version of the
overlay.  when its available
they then run an install script which updates to w/e is specified by
the latest ebuild.
and you could easily embed 'instructions' in such overlays; like roll
back to version x,
in the event of a catastrophe; though i cant think if a great way to
force an immediate
rollback, at least not off the top of my head.
i mean, you could really build it yourself, especially since php is
just source files to
push around.  but why reinvent the wheel, portage is already here and
it works great.

-nathan