Re: Re: how do you get to do multiple mysql queries concurrently?

Richard Lynch wrote:

> On Sat, January 26, 2008 3:32 am, Per Jessen wrote:
>> In a threaded environment you often have e.g. semaphores and mutexes
>> to coordinate access to shared data.  When you've forked a process,
>> you share data over IPC or similar. When you create a new thread, it
>> has access to global scope variables in the main tread.  It has
>> access to shared heap storage.  None of this applies to a forked
>> process.
>
> That all depends on which implementation of threading you are using...

Very true.  What I described is posix threading in linux as well as the
general idea of threading found in MVS/zOS.

> And, ultimately, if the program wasn't written correctly to handle
> being forked/threaded it's gonna crash...

Also true.  But that's like saying an incorrectly written for-loop will
crash :-)

> Whether it's two "threads" or two "processes" trying to utilize the
> same resource as it they had exclusive access when they don't, you end
> up in the same position...

True again. However, I was commenting on your assertion that "Process
forking has EVERYTHING to do with thread safety", which I will stay is
wrong.  When you fork another process, you don't need to worry about
whether your code is thread-safe or not. You don't have to be
reentrant, you could even use self-modifying code if you felt the urge.

/Per Jessen, Zürich