Re: Exception thrown without a stack frame

Eric Butera schreef:
On Jan 25, 2008 5:37 AM, Jochem Maas <jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm getting exceptions thrown without a stackframe. I understand what this
means but not how it can happen given the following:

1. *every* frontend script on the site is wrapped in a try/catch block
2. I have set an exception handler to dump these so-called uncaught exceptions
in the error log

I use APC on the site/server in question but it doesn't matter whether I actually
load or use APC as to whether these uncaught exceptions occur.

I can't seem to reproduce the problem from my own browser - although it's
difficult to determine much from the log given the lack of information in any
entry referring to 'exception thrown without a stack frame' - apparently the
uncaught exception is not causing users to see broken or blank pages.

The problem only occurs on the production server, I can't reproduce it
on my test server no matter how hard I push with ab.

I haven't updated php for quite a long time which is at version 5.1.1

has anyone ever experienced something like this? anyone have any clue as to
what it might be.

tia

Maybe you can see the timestamp of when the exception was thrown and
match that in your server logs to get a better idea of what page the
user was hitting?

I'm stupid but not that stupid. besides having tried to correlate access and
error logs, I'm not even sure an access log line is being generated. and even then
when I try to recreate the error using any/all urls listed in the access log at/around the
time of the a relevant error log line I cannot get the uncaught exception to occur.

not to mention that I have triple checked every script on the site that is available
via the web to make sure there is a try/catch wrapper around the outer most code block.

and then there is the fact that there is a exception handler set which is *not* triggered.

oh and then there is the little problem of the webserver having to be 'graceful'd every
5 minutes to avoid runaway httpd child processes. the uncaught exceptions don't correlate
with the 'apachectl graceful's btw.

total mind bender :-/