Exception thrown without a stack frame

I'm getting exceptions thrown without a stackframe. I understand what this
means but not how it can happen given the following:

1. *every* frontend script on the site is wrapped in a try/catch block
2. I have set an exception handler to dump these so-called uncaught exceptions
in the error log

I use APC on the site/server in question but it doesn't matter whether I actually
load or use APC as to whether these uncaught exceptions occur.

I can't seem to reproduce the problem from my own browser - although it's
difficult to determine much from the log given the lack of information in any
entry referring to 'exception thrown without a stack frame' - apparently the
uncaught exception is not causing users to see broken or blank pages.

The problem only occurs on the production server, I can't reproduce it
on my test server no matter how hard I push with ab.

I haven't updated php for quite a long time which is at version 5.1.1

has anyone ever experienced something like this? anyone have any clue as to
what it might be.

tia