Re: Debugging classes

Vishal Patel schreef:
who the fuck are you and why the fuck are you emailing me

I'm fucking me actually. and I'm fucking mailing a fucking mailing list which
apparently your fucking subscribed to. So now your fucking up to speed.

Any other fucking questions?

On Jan 22, 2008 11:15 PM, Jochem Maas <jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    TG schreef:
     > I have a semi-good understanding of classes even if I don't
    totally 'grok'
     > the benefits for the projects I've worked on so far.
     >
     > One thing that keeps smacking me in the face, though, is reverse
    engineering
     > in order to make proper changes to projects created by others
    using classes.

     > In particular, I've been doing a lot of Joomla work and I end up
    doing a
     > global "find in files" trying to trace things back to see where
    they're
     > assigned, etc.
     >
     > In particular 2, "$this".  I know it's a keyword meaing "the
    active object"..
     > I'm cool with that, but sometimes I need to make changes to how
    things are
     > handled, or what data is included.  I can do a print_r and see
    what type of
     > object it is, look up the class definition, etc, but it still
    seems like a
     > pretty cumbersome way of doing things.

    debug_print_backtrace() is your friend. that said get an editor that
    supports
    debugging and install the required debugging extension on the server
    (which
    will probably be your local machine) this will allow you to initiate
    a debug session
    that allows you to step through the code line by line.

    I use Zend (debugger & IDE) for this, there are other options but
    I'm lazy and I've
    never had the patience to setup PHPEclipse+Xdebug (or something similar)

     > Anyone have any tips for debugging/reverse
    engineering/noodling-out classes
     > on big projects created by someone else?
     >
     > I figure things out eventually, I just want to speed up the
    process and do it
     > 'smarter' if possible.

    debugging is a bit of a black art. the more you do it the handier
    and more comfortable
    you get at doing it. it's a bit like sex but with out the reward ;-)

     > Thanks!
     >
     > -TG

Vishal Patel