Re: Question About Blocking Email Addresses in Forms

Or even a simple text CAPTCHA "What is 16 divided by 4?".
Careful though, I made a class which converted numbers to text
(TextualNumbers IIRC) and it got broken.

Almost any CAPTCHA can be broken if somebody wants it badly enough.

Some are easier than others, of course.

But you get rid of a LOT of bottom-feeders with a CAPTCHA.

CAPTCHA has serious usability drawbacks, however.

I would suggest NOT going for something really hard for a human to use
-- I believe that it won't make THAT much difference to the number of
junk eliminated.

When I introduced a CAPTCHA on my blog (http://www.phpguru.org) site it reduced comment spam by nearly 100%. Not completely; I still get maybe 1 per month, but it was well worth adding.

--
Richard Heyes
http://www.websupportsolutions.co.uk

Knowledge Base and Helpdesk software that eases your support
burden and helps increase your sales.

** NOW OFFERING FREE ACCOUNTS TO CHARITIES AND NON-PROFITS **