Re: SMTP vs mail()

Hello,

on 01/17/2008 06:57 PM Richard Lynch said the following:
> On Thu, January 17, 2008 3:50 am, Richard Heyes wrote:
>>> You can easily make a mail queue in php yourself with a daemon that
>>> checks the queue and sends waiting mail in batches of say 200 per
>>> minute. (provided you have access to the cli on the server)
>> Why when there MTAs?
>
> Your shared host may provide no access to config an MTA, but will shut
> you down automatically if you send either more then 75 emails per
> minute, or more than 1000 per hour.
>
> I worked on such a setup, and crafted a PHP DB queue of emails to make
> 100% sure their mailing list never got their site shut down.
>
> I am confident other examples abound.

You are right. After all that is an "MTA" too. It is an awkward solution
but tt least you will be able work around your ISP constraints.

Some time ago an user published a class that does precisely that:

http://www.phpclasses.org/newsletter

In the past, I used also an unsual solution to send newsletters to the
PHPClasses site users.

Instead of a database, I used to send e-mail messages that contained
newsletter contents and subscriber addresses.

Then I used my desktop machine to pop the messages and distribute the
newsletters. When it exceeded my ISP limits, I used servers borrowed
from kind users, until I finally used a VPS.

The distribution system via e-mail still exists and works as a charm,
although for now it is not needed to work distributedly.

In this blog post you can read all the details.

http://www.phpclasses.org/blog/post/65-8-defensive-programming-best-practices-to-prevent-breaking-your-sites.html

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos