Re: Re: [QUESTION] MAIL: Send a NOOP instead of DATA

Hello,

on 01/16/2008 02:11 AM mike said the following:
> Why not look at phpmailer? Probably more robust than some random classes.

I did not suggest any random classes. I developed those classes since
1999 and I know they work reliably because they are used by me and tens
of thousands of users that have downloaded the classes from the site.

If you have not used these classes, I do not understand why you need to
make assertions about their robustness, unless your only purpose was to
put down my work.

Does it bother you by the fact that I suggest that people use my classes
to solve their problems?

> Not to bash on Manuel, but I find phpclasses to be littered with lots
> of crappy code and is too ad-laden and hard to use for me to bother.

I think your opinion about the site is totally off-topic and does not
add anything to this thread.

Nobody likes advertising, starting with me, but now that you brought out
that subject, for your information, if it was not for the advertising
that you used as argument to bash me, the site would already been closed
a long time ago.

The PHPClasses site has over 550,000 subscribers. About 2000 of them are
authors that contributed with more than 4000 freely distributable
components. I am just one author.

It is a democratic site. You do not have to beg to distribute your
classes there. Everybody can contribute. The result is that some classes
are very simple, but many others are very sophisticated and provide
functionality that you will not find in any PHP classes in any other site.

That happens because the site makes an non-trivial effort to promote the
work of the authors that contribute to it.

If you think just of the winners of the PHP Programming Innovation Award
 created by the PHPClasses site, you will find there plenty of brilliant
classes that stand out from the crowd.

http://www.phpclasses.org/winners/

If you do not want to bother and benefit from the work distributed by
the site, that is your problem. But please do us a favour, respect the
work that the authors submit to the site and do not call it crappy.

> On 1/15/08, Wang Chen <wangchen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Manuel Lemos said the following on 2008-1-16 11:55:
>>> Maybe you are accessing a SMTP server with a grey listing or
>>> anti-spam/anti-virus frontend that sits on the front of the actual SMTP
>>> server and only passes information to the backend server when it is ready.
>>>
>>> It is possible that your message is malformed and the frontend server is
>>> expecting something that you are not sending correctly. Meanwhile the
>>> frontend server sends NOOP commands to the backend server to keep the
>>> connection opened.
>>>
>> But it's strange that php should send a "DATA" command out, but tcpdump didn't
>> capture this packet. :(
>>
>>> You may want to try this SMTP class that is known to work correctly
>>> according to the mail standards. See if you can send the message
>>> properly. If so, the theory above is likely to be the case.
>>>
>>> http://www.phpclasses.org/smtpclass
>>>
>>> If you need authentication, you also need this:
>>>
>>> http://www.phpclasses.org/sasl
>>>

>> Thanks Manuel, I will try this.
>>
>> --

Regards,