Re: [QUESTION] MAIL: Send a NOOP instead of DATA

Hello,

on 01/16/2008 02:00 AM Wang Chen said the following:
>> Maybe you are accessing a SMTP server with a grey listing or
>> anti-spam/anti-virus frontend that sits on the front of the actual SMTP
>> server and only passes information to the backend server when it is ready.
>>
>> It is possible that your message is malformed and the frontend server is
>> expecting something that you are not sending correctly. Meanwhile the
>> frontend server sends NOOP commands to the backend server to keep the
>> connection opened.
>>

> But it's strange that php should send a "DATA" command out, but tcpdump didn't
> capture this packet. :(

I don't know why you are using tcpdump, but maybe you are only capturing
a network interface that is not the one that your code used to connect
to the SMTP server. It seems to me that is something is altering the
data you are sending for some reason. I suggest that you ask your system
administrator.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos