Re: First stupid post of the year. [SOLVED]

On Sat, January 5, 2008 4:04 pm, Nisse Engström wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 01:08:13 -0500, tedd wrote:

>    NOTE: Richard Lynch tells us that (some versions of)
> Internet Explorer, under certain circumstances, ignore
> the `Content-Type:´ header and that a <meta> element is
> necessary to make it guess the encoding correctly. I
> don't know about this, but I tend to believe him.

I'm WAY behind on emails, but thought I'd chime in here, in case
somebody wants to try to find it...

I no longer have access to the SOAP service that was providing the
data that was causing the problem, so I can't give a URL that will
demonstrate this easily.

But I can add that the HTML output (required by my former boss) was SO
BAD that it didn't even begin to validate and was throwing IE into
quirks mode.

So, having a header() and being in quirks mode in IE 6 (5?) and not
having a META tag for the charset, and having mixed charsets (or
whatever they are) on a page was causing this issue.

The actual characters were a pronunciation guide to "Medici" as well
as having "Medici" written with diacritial marks in another part of
the page.

You can snag the output from answers.com (the provider of
no-longer-available SOAP service) if you really want to play with
this.

Then you'd have to wrap their content up in some truly disgusting
non-validating HTML and re-present it as your own content.

Putting in the META tag forced IE to use UTF-8 and make it work.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?