Re: First stupid post of the year. [SOLVED]

At 1:41 AM +0100 1/5/08, Nisse Engström wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 09:16:54 -0500, tedd wrote:

 At 10:33 AM +0100 1/4/08, Nisse Engström wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 12:39:36 -0500, tedd wrote:

 > Nisse:

Thanks again for your time and guidance.

As you said, it's my understanding that a web page encoding can be designated via a meta statement

However, that might be different than how the page was actually saved.

I have heard of instances where a disconnect like that has caused problems with browsers and made them kick into quirks mode, which also has affected other things like javascript. I had one javascript guru that kept hitting me over the head with complaints that I was deliberately doing it just to piss him off, but the truth was I just didn't realize the problem -- still don't.

So, to cover all bases -- what's the best way to set encoding in web page, to save correctly and use a meta tag? And, what do you recommend to be the "best" encoding to shoot for, UTF-8?

And lastly, what's the best encoding to set your browser? I have clients who are all over the place with special windoze characters that appear like garbage in my browser.

      "This entire encoding process is more involved
       than it looks"

That sounds familiar.

I read a book on Unicode and the book provided considerable evidence of the complexities of encoding. Now throw into the mix PUNYCODE for IDNS and you have quite an assortment of problems with rendering different code-points in different char-sets. A very interesting topic.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------