Re: A good book for a perspective programer.

Sean-Michael wrote:
What I want to ask is if anyone can recommend a good/best text book to learn from, I like to have a good book on hand!

It's very difficult to recommend "the best" book to learn from (although I'm tempted to suggest my own). Different people learn in different ways. Also, people want to use PHP in different ways, not to mention the fact that you don't say what your current skill level is.

My advice would be to go to Amazon, and browse the books on PHP. Read the reviews. See which are the best sellers.

I have a lot of PHP books on my shelf. The two that are the most well-thumbed as "PHP Programming" by Rasmus Lerdorf and Kevin Tatroe, and "Upgrading to PHP 5" by Adam Trachtenberg.

The book by Matt Zandstra that you mention is very good, but it's very specialized. If you're already at an intermediate-advanced level, and want to learn about design patterns with PHP, it might be a good choice. If you're at a less advanced level, maybe not.

--
David Powers