Re: XML Data merging

At 12:10 PM -0500 1/12/08, Eric Butera wrote:
On 1/12/08, Naz Gassiep <naz@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
 I'm using simplexml to fetch data from a set of data files. If I have
 two files, and one is an update to the other, is there an easy way to
 merge the two files together, rather than having write logic that checks
 one and then the other?

 Both files conform to the same DTD and thus the data in the update will
 perfectly eclipse the data in the main file. If I can do this it would
 save me writing a whole bunch of logic.

 Thanks,
 - Naz.

diff!

...Although your standard diff wouldn't account for files that parse identically but have slightly different but functionally identical XML (eg; differing case/whitespace in tags, different order of attributes). That's what tools like XMLdiff (python) -

	http://www.logilab.org/project/xmldiff

- xmldiff (perl) -

	http://www.xml.com/pub/r/1354

- xmldiffpatch (MS executable) -

- and probably numerous others are for. Here's a possibly-useful article:

	http://www.xmlhack.com/read.php?item=1681

Disclaimer: I've never used any of those tools, so YMMV, IANAL, RTFM, LOL, etc...

	steve

--
+--------------- my people are the people of the dessert, ---------------+
| Steve Edberg                                http://pgfsun.ucdavis.edu/ |