/etc/php.init changes not honored

Hello,

            I am trying to increase upload_max_filesize beyond the 2M
limit. I've set this in my /etc/php.ini file, but every time I look at
the output of phpinfo(); the changes I make in /etc/php.init don't seem
to be honored. This isn't limited to upload_max_filesize, I've changed
the Engine & safe_mode values, but these don't seem to make any
difference either. I've looked in the /etc/php.d directory, and those
files only reference other libraries. I've even removed the /etc/php.ini
file which doesn't seem to make a difference.

            What am I missing?

-Thanks, RYAN

            I'm running a default installation of CentOS 5.

[ryan@lamp etc]$ cat /etc/redhat-release

CentOS release 5 (Final)

[ryan@lamp etc]$ rpm -qa | grep php

php-5.1.6-5.el5

php-pdo-5.1.6-5.el5

php-pear-1.4.9-4

php-common-5.1.6-5.el5

php-cli-5.1.6-5.el5

php-mysql-5.1.6-5.el5

[ryan@lamp etc]$ rpm -qa | grep httpd

httpd-2.2.3-6.el5.centos.1

httpd-manual-2.2.3-6.el5.centos.1

[ryan@lamp etc]$

Ryan Madison

Senior Systems Administrator, UNIX Services

Internet Services and Servers

Department of Information Technology

State of Nevada

p. 775.684.4313

f. 775.684.4324

e. rmadison@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rmadison@xxxxxxxxxxx>

w. http://sug.state.nv.us <http://sug.state.nv.us/>

This communication, including any attachments, may contain confidential
information and is intended only for the individual or entity to it is
addressed. Any review, dissemination or copying of this communication by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply
e-Mail and delete all copies of the original message.