Re: uh oh, I defined a resoruce

On Jan 10, 2008 4:00 PM, Stut <stuttle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Eric Butera wrote:
> > Haha.  Thank you for all that insightful research.  Seriously though,
> > using globals you might already be in hell!  =\
>
> IMHO global variables are evil in the same way that register_globals
> were. Despite everything you've probably heard it is actually possible
> to create a secure site with register_globals enabled, but it needs to
> be done with due care and attention. The same goes for globals. They are
> not inherently evil but they are easily abused so you need to be careful
> when you use them.
>
> -Stut
>
> --
> http://stut.net/

Stut,

That is all well and fine and I agree with you on some level.  The
only problem is that this is the php-general list and as such I try
and put red flags on things to help others realize sooner than I did
the pro/con list of things.

Register globals makes working with request data extremely easy.  At
the same time it also makes it where GPC collisions and whatnot can
really burn you in the end.  For the overwhelming majority of users it
causes more problems than it solves which is why it is going away.....
someday.