Re: global address collection

On Jan 8, 2008 10:08 AM, tedd <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just finished a credit card portion for a site where the programmer
> before me required the customers to enter their credit card number
> without spaces -- why?  It's a simple matter to remove spaces for
> processing -- why throw that responsibility on the user?

I agree that removing spaces really isn't a huge deal, but aside from
that I don't think there should be any other modification.  I've seen
code that will regex out anything but numbers.  I think this is bad
practice because we as programmers should validate, not modify data.
Anything above and beyond that is sticking your neck out too far and
will lead to problems sooner or later.

What if the user mistyped what they intended?  If the script just
validates it will see the user accidently typed in a letter in the
field and re-display it asking for numbers only.  If it strips out the
letters, then you've just sent the potentially invalid number to the
gateway which in the end will be a charge against the client for a
failed attempt.