iphone.facebook.com PHP inquiry

Hi folks,

Probably the most impressive application I've run into for the iPhone has to
be Facebook's implementation. I'm looking for ways to improve my application
to be as responsive as theirs. Unfortunately it has quite a way to go. Does
anyone know how this form of 'routing' works?

For instance the home page for iphone.facebook.com looks something like:

http://iphone.facebook.com/#home.php

then if you click on profile it'll route you to something that looks like

http://iphone.facebook.com/#profile.php?id=XXXX

Is this actually 'leaving' the page and requesting profile.php? I'm
completely confused with the hash mark in front of the PHP file and the
mechanics behind this style. It seems to be extremely well implemented
though and I'd like to learn more about it. I'm having a ton of issues with
my application now where Ajax calls randomly do not get sent to the server.
I haven't figured out why, maybe mobile safari is caching request URLs. But
I'm looking to rebuild parts of the architecture to get it to work, and
would love to understand the mechanism being used above.

Does anyone know what is going on with the browser and HTTP requests with
the methodology listed above? Any further reading?

Thanks!

- sf