why is <option '97' selected>Japan</option> not highlighted

in my <select> scrolling list?

Here is the offending code (abbreviated)
<select name="sr_location_id" class="" size=10 >
<option value='94' >Italy</option>
<option value='97' selected>Japan</option>
<option value='252' >Jersey</option>
<option value='294' >Jiangsu</option>
<option value='295' >Jiangxi</option>

I have data series which have a location specified. I wish to edit the data series. I select the location from the database (Note: database stuff is not a problem) and display a scrolling list with the location specified by that data series highlighted. Problem is, even though the option is marked selected, the Japan entry in the scrolling list does not highlight.

The offending page may be viewed at

http://www.demog.berkeley.edu/~maryfran/memdev/edit_series.php?sr_data_series_id=2

Sometimes when it loads, Japan is highlighted correctly. Sometimes nothing is highlighted. Sometimes some random option in the list is highlighted. Similar behavior is observed in the data series types scrolling list next to the locations list on the page.

I have been using Firefox 2.0.0.3. I just tried it out on IE7 and it seems to work OK. Maybe it is a browser problem, but the XDynamic HTML Definitive Reference seems to say that the selected attribute on option works OK with mozilla.