RE: control browser with <a href> tag

Yes, you will need something like this http://www.wildbit.com/labs/modalbox/ or a regular javascript popup (window.open).
Modalbox is based on prototype and scriptaculous, but there are other lightweight solutions over there too (someone mentioned jQuery and Thickbox I think, and there's also a Mootools version called MOOdalbox or something).
This is something you need to program on the client-side (at least most of it), so it's not about PHP.

Rob

Andrés Robinet | Lead Developer | BESTPLACE CORPORATION
5100 Bayview Drive 206, Royal Lauderdale Landings, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308 | TEL 954-607-4207 | FAX 954-337-2695
Email: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  | MSN Chat: best@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  |  SKYPE: bestplace |  Web: http://www.bestplace.biz | Web: http://www.seo-diy.com