Re: Assign variable to a block of html code

On Dec 19, 2007 10:38 PM, php mail <php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is it possible to assign variable to a block of html code ?
>
> Something like this :
>
> $myblokvar = "
[sniiiiiiiiiiiip]
> ";
>
> Although example above is not working, what I want to achieve is something
> like that. Is it possible how can I do that ?

    If you absolutely want to do it that way, then escape your quotes
in the HTML.  When you're using quotes to encapsulate a variable, any
quotes contained within the value will cause a parse error.  One
alternative is to use single-quotes for variable containment, and
double-quotes throughout, or vice-versa.  These two methods will work:

    $variable = "This is how you \"escape\" quotes.";
    $variable = 'Using single quotes gives you the "literal" value,
which means you can't do newlines and such.\n';

    However, your best bet is going to be using HEREDOC:

$html =<<<EOL

    Always be sure to use the three left carats as shown in the line
above.  You can call EOL anything you want in the world, as long as it
doesn't interfere with an existing part of your code within the same
scope.  You can also use $variables within a HEREDOC, but things like
newlines WILL NOT work.\n

    Also note that, when using HEREDOC syntax, you don't end the
<<<EOL with a semicolon.  And when you're done with your HEREDOC
block, be sure to end it as the first thing on the line.  You can't
have any spaces, tabs, or other characters before it.  And be sure to
place your semicolon after it, as well, like so:
EOL;

--
Daniel P. Brown
[Phone Numbers Go Here!]

If at first you don't succeed, stick to what you know best so that you
can make enough money to pay someone else to do it for you.