re-compiling PHP on Mac OS X

hi guys (& girls),

any Mac heads about? I have a MacBook Pro in front of me ... super cool,
it even comes with apache & php installed as standard. nice.

only thing is php is not compiled with with all the extensions I need, the
question is what is the *correct* way to update/recompile the standard installed
copy of php on a Mac? I quite comfortable with compiling/installing [mulitple]
custom apache+php installs on a linux server but I'd like to keep this Mac as
clean as possible if I can.

If any one has recommendations I love to here from you :-)
in the mean time I'll keep hunting

rgds,
Jochem