Re: temp tables mysql OT

tedd wrote:
> At 12:20 PM +0100 12/13/07, Zoltán Németh wrote:
>> 2007. 12. 12, szerda keltezéssel 20.13-kor tedd ezt írta:
>>  > I would like to create a temporary table to perform searches.
>>>
>>>   From my main table, I need to exclude records that have certain
>>>  fields that are null or empty; and then sort the final result.
>>
>> why do you need a temp table for that?
>> select * from blah where not isnull(checkfield) and checkfield <> ''
>> order by someotherfield
>
> Zoltán:
>
> Ok, here's the problem.
>
> I have a table with over 5000 records.
>
> There is no index (not my dB) and the records are not complete.
>
> There is a numeric product_id field, but in the dB this is not in sequence.
>
> Some records have a product_id, but no product_name.
>
> I need to travel the dB showing each item in order (product _id) and
> excluding those products that have no product_name.
>
> That sounds simple enough, but currently for each step the entire table
> gets sorted (unless I'm doing it wrong).
>
> I was thinking that I could:
>
> 1. Create a temporary table.
> 2. Sort the table once.
> 3. Remove the records that have no product_name
> 4. And then just travel the temporary table for the duration of the script.
> 5. Drop the table when done with it.
>
> Now, what's wrong with my thinking?

you mean in general? :-P
on a serious note I'd go with Richard's analysis - the number of records
is next to nothing, indexed or not.

so the only thing wrong with your plan of attack is that's it's
overkill it seems other than than it's a sound strategy, we're programmers
right? we're lazy ... we encourage you to do less :-).

I guess back in day when rocks[tm] were still in vogue you would have had
to be much more frugal with the meager cycles at your disposal - we're
spoiled for cycles these days :-)