Re: Mysqli support - test or complain? [SOLVED]

Richard Heyes wrote:
You use a session variable for that?

Why not?

Because it's not user data, it's server data.

That's entirely the wrong place to
store something like which database API is installed.

Not really. You could even wrap a function called (for example) Feature() around it.

Yeah, really. Sessions are for user data. If it's the same for all users then it doesn't belong in the session, it belongs in a server-wide cache.

It should a class
variable or global configuration variable. Heck, I'd say it's more
appropriate to do extension_loaded( 'mysqli' ) on every call than to use
a session variable.

Why? It's very unlikely to be changing between calls. And even if it does, it's once in a blue moon. Granted though, I can't see it being a particularly intensive function call, so I can't see the harm in calling it on every invocation.

AFAIK a call to extension_loaded is pretty cheap, but if you really feel the need to cache it between requests the best place to store it would be in a file on the server. However, I'd expect a stat on that file will be more expensive than calling extension_loaded.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/