Configure option for external expat directory

PHP version: 5.2.5 / Platform: Solaris 9 (SPARC) / Expat version: 1.95.8

The PHP manual's section on XML ( http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ ref.xml.php ) states that the "--with-expat-dir=DIR" option should be used if you wish to use an external expat library. However, when I attempted to do so, I received the following error:

"Notice: Following unknown configure options were used: --with-expat- dir=/usr/local"

After checking the configure script itself, I believe I was able to specify the external version of expat via "--with-libexpat-dir [=DIR]". However, I was hoping someone could help me answer the following (at least #1):

1) Is --with-libexpat-dir the correct option (i.e. is this a documentation error)? If not, what is the recommended method for having PHP compile using an external expat library?

2) Is pointing to an external version of expat deprecated in favor of using the bundled version (as some online searching suggests), or will this option continue to exist in some form? Since I'm still refining my build, if the plan is to rely on the bundled version, I'll stop pointing to our external one. However, we do prefer to use external packages for libraries when possible.

Thanks for any thoughts,
Elyse Salberg