Re: PHP RFC # 0001 --- List Etiquette

On Nov 30, 2007 10:41 AM, Philip Thompson <philthathril@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2007 9:48 AM, Daniel Brown <parasane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >    Good morning (/afternoon/evening) all;
> >
> >    This is more or less an RFC-type email, hence the subject line.  I
> > would like to see your comments on this case, and maybe we can forge
> > some sort of agreement or unofficial treaty or something.
> >
> >    Oftentimes we see a user post a question to the list, with ongoing
> > discussion back-and-forth on a troublesome issue, and when a solution
> > is found, the subject line has an added [SOLVED] tag on it.  While
> > this makes sense in a forum style arena, where posts are binded
> > statically in the same group, it defeats the purpose of mailing list
> > archives such as Nabble and GMANE.  A recent email from this morning
> > illustrates the problem, as displayed presently at this page:
> >        http://www.nabble.com/PHP---General-f140.html
> >
> >    The email  with the subject "The PHP License" received commentary
> > from both Jochem Maas and myself, and the OP (AmirBehzad Eslami)
> > replied to the message, appending the [SOLVED] tag to the subject.
> > This is not a serious issue in this particular matter, as it was a
> > simple thank-you message out of politeness (which is greatly
> > appreciated, Amir!).  However, using just a single example should help
> > to emphasize my point exponentially when you consider the frequency of
> > occurrences we see following the [SOLVED]-appended route.
> >
> >    On 12 September, 2007, Zbigniew Szalbot posted a message to the
> > list about a segmentation fault in PHP 5.2.3.  Over the next 24
> > hours-plus, exactly sixty comments passed back-and-forth on the
> > thread.  When a solution was found, it was posted in a separate email
> > with the [SOLVED] tag added to the subject line, and two additional
> > comments added to that (entirely new) thread.
> >
> >    Why is this such a critical issue?  Because if we hope not to have
> > to answer the same questions over and over again, instructing people
> > to properly STFW, then we should at least be contributing to proper
> > archival and documentation of problems we've successfully solved.
> > Using the aforementioned example, we check Google for the same
> > problem:
> >

> > http://www.google.com/search?q=php+5.2.3+segmentation+fault+core+dumped
> >
> >    Hooray!  Someone else has had the exact same list of problems, and
> > now I can simply go through all of the responses and it should
> > (fingers crossed!) correct my issues as well.
> >
> >    Message 58.... 59.... getting close!.... sixty-one.... WHAT?!?  No
> > solution?  Back to Google.... only to find that each result is exactly
> > the same discussion, never including the final three emails.
> >
> >    So the summary of my proposal is as follows:
> >
> >        1.) An issue has been identified with the list whereby
> > improper archival will likely lead to repeat questions and unnecessary
> > traffic to the list.
> >        2.) I propose that we discontinue the act of subject
> > modification to indicate a change in status of the issue (SOLVED,
> [...]

    My thoughts were for us, the actual contributing community, to
take the few seconds to do this ourselves.  If someone pops in, asks a
question, and gets a response that solves it, then starts a new thread
with [SOLVED] in there, perhaps we could ask them to reply back to the
original thread, or even copy and paste it into the original thread
ourselves.  I know it will take one of us a few seconds, which can
mean the difference between life and death (!!!!), but in the long
run, I really believe it will save a lot of grief.

    Of course, it would only really need to be copied back to the
original thread if it was useful.  If it was just a "thank you, you're
brilliant, King Dan Brown, the sexiest man ever to be hatched," then
I'll only copy it over for gloating purposes.

--
Daniel P. Brown
[office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272

If at first you don't succeed, stick to what you know best so that you
can make enough money to pay someone else to do it for you.