Re: PHP RFC # 0001 --- List Etiquette

On Nov 28, 2007 10:56 AM, Jay Blanchard <jblanchard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [snip]
>     So the summary of my proposal is as follows:
>
>         1.) An issue has been identified with the list whereby
> improper archival will likely lead to repeat questions and unnecessary
> traffic to the list.
>         2.) I propose that we discontinue the act of subject
> modification to indicate a change in status of the issue (SOLVED,
> ALSO, ANOTHER PROBLEM, etc.) unless a completely different problem is
> reached or question is asked.  This will allow a step-by-step document
> (of sorts) to be created and made "searchable" on the web.
> [/snip]
>
> This has been the expected behavior (adding [SOLVED]) for a long time
> though it does not occur as often as it should. It has been in the
> NEWBIE GUIDE for a long time and has been a de-facto standard on IT or
> computer related mailing lists like this for years.

    Jay,

    See how simple it was to remove the [SOLVED] tag and maintain the
track of the discussion?

    I'm aware that the NEWBIE GUIDE has that entry.  For those not aware:

        9. It's always a good idea to post back to the list once you've solved
        your problem. People usually add [SOLVED] to the subject line of their
        email when posting solutions. By posting your solution you're helping
        the next person with the same question. [contribued by Chris W Parker]

    However, doing this defeats the purpose of a mailing list archive,
and prompts unnecessary repetition of help requests for an issue that
may have been "discussed to death" just five days prior.  Again, the
[SOLVED] tag is great on a forum, where you can quickly scan for that
topic that you know has a solution.  However, on a mailing list it
only serves to create confusion, separation of problem and solution,
and exasperation on behalf of the searcher when viewing the issue on a
search engine or in the archives.

    If we expect people to first attempt to help themselves, we should
not knowingly contribute to their inevitable failure.

--
Daniel P. Brown
[office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272

If at first you don't succeed, stick to what you know best so that you
can make enough money to pay someone else to do it for you.