Re: Parsing XML with DTD

Hey Jochem & all,

Thanks much for this tip. I will check it out.

A little further reading looks like PEAR provides some XML and DTD capabilities? Anyone have any experience with this?

Also, the reason I asked about the DTD is that these XML files are really extensive, providing lots of varied info about literature, history, a whole ton of topics, so I thought parsing the DTD will be necessary to know what kinds of data I'm really looking at.

I'll check out Jochem's suggestion now, but would also like to hear if anyone has used PEAR, and also about the need for the DTD for big, complicated XML files.

Would it be helpful if I pasted one of the XML files to the list?

Thanks again!
Skip

Jochem Maas wrote:
Skip Evans wrote:
Hey all,

I've been asked if it's possible to parse XML files given a DTD file
that describes the elements within it, so I've been looking through the
docs at php.net.

So far I've found this:

http://us.php.net/manual/en/ref.xml.php

Which has some samples on, but nothing that I see will take a DTD file
and parse the XML accordingly.

use php5 and the DOM extension (not XML and not DOMXML):

http://us.php.net/manual/en/ref.dom.php

I'm thinking something like this is probably possible.

I'm still looking through the docs, but if anyone can point me in the
right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Skip

--