Semi-newbie Question .... streams ...

I'm working on one my first PHP projects, and I have extensive
experience with coding, so I know what I want to do is not
outrageous.

The short version is:  I need to master the download stream for a file,
while delivering it to the enduser, I need to change some bytes in the
file data. A simple search and replace. I want to do it in the stream,
don't want to create a new file each time. The data is not a string,
it is in fact a serial number being inserted into an "EXE" download.

I "get" how to do this with ASP, but the active replace in PHP has
me totally lost.

Any hints ?

--
Paul S. Farr