Re: Quick questions -- how do I place the cursor (i.e., set focus) to a field on page load?

At 6:52 PM -0700 11/13/07, Jon Westcot wrote:
 > Here's a collection of animated wait gifs:

 http://webbytedd.com/bb/wait/

 Steal as you need -- I did.

    Thanks.  I'll check that out.  I'm still wondering, though, how the
redirection works if it is supposed to occur only before any text appears in
the <BODY>.

Don't confuse yourself -- it's simpler than your trying to make it.

You show the wait gif in the preceding (or current) page and it's not a redirect.

It's simply:

1) The user enters a bunch of data and hits submit;

2) The form then sends that data to the server;

3) The form sticks around showing you a wait gif until the server responds with a new page.

4) You don't need a wait gif for the new page.

OR

I use javascript to pre-process the data and do basically the same thing.

Here's a *required* entry form using javascript.

http://webbytedd.com/c/form-submit/

If the calculations in the background are significant with respect to time, then I would throw up a wait gif instead of an alert.

However, I seldom write anything that takes that much time -- so it's usually a moot point.

Here's another example:

http://webbytedd.com/c/form-calc/

I haven't seen too many forms that get more complex than that and the computations there are instant -- so what's the point of a wait gif in form processing?

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------