Re: Quick questions -- how do I place the cursor (i.e., set focus) to a field on page load?

At 4:46 PM -0700 11/13/07, Jon Westcot wrote:
Hi all:

This may or may not be a PHP-related question, but, since I'm coding with PHP, I thought I'd ask:

When a form loads, such as a login form, I'd like to have the cursor placed automatically in the Username field. Right now, it requires me to click it with the mouse or to tab into it. I know I've seen this type of cursor control accomplished on countless web pages, but I can't find any hints on how to accomplish this on my own. Can one of you wonderful code wizards point me in the right direction?

It's a javascript thing -- check out onFocus:

http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/jsref_onfocus.asp
http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/document/_BODY_onFocus.html

Also, while I'm asking questions, let me ask another one: I've seen several pages (frequently, pages that come up after a login page has been filled out) that provide some user mollification (you know, the typical "Please be patient, don't get your nylons in a knot, we're typing as fast as we can" message), often with some type of moving text or graphics (probably an animated GIF) that then goes away after a certain time and a third page is displayed.

Here's a collection of animated wait gifs:

http://webbytedd.com/bb/wait/

Steal as you need -- I did.

I know that the headers("Location") code can do this, but I was under the (probably mistaken) impression that this will NOT work if information has already been displayed on the page. If that's the case, how are these other pages doing this? Knowing how to move from page to page this way would really be helpful.

Check out php sessions for passing data between pages.

http://www.php.net/session
http://www.tizag.com/phpT/phpsessions.php

HTH's

tedd