Re: PHP ide?

Andrew Peterson wrote:
Does anyone else find the Eclipse programs run EXTREMELY slow? Maybe there's some sort of configuration I'm missing.

-Andrew

Eclipse is Java based. You need a decent machine and decent amount of RAM.

More tips -

a) Install only what you need

Eclipse is a universe of things written by different people and you can easily find yourself running tons of stuff that arrived as dependencies. It used to take me a while to figure out how to install what I need without installing what I don't need. In the latest version of Eclipse this became easier, especially using the Europa Discovery site.

b) Try alternative ways of doing things

For instance committing a file using the Subclipse perspective takes forever (on a large project) - it seems the Subclipse perspective updates the whole project after the commit. Committing the same file from within the PDT perspective takes seconds.

c) I/O access is critical

PDT does a lot of thing on save, for example. Slow I/O (hard drive) or concurrent access may slow your Eclipse a lot.

Apart from that Eclipse is excellent and is improving.

Iv