RE: More info on timeout problem

> Sounds much like what I'm trying to do. I have had to give up, for the
> time being, on using PHP to upload the datafile; it's about 56 MB in size
> and nothing I do seems to let me upload anything larger than a 2MB file. :(

I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread, but 2M is a default setting for upload_max_filesize http://php.he.net/manual/en/ini.core.php
You may also need to adjust post_max_size and memory_limit.  My upload_max_filesize is at 5M,, post_max_size at 8M, and memory_limit is at 32M.

>From the docs:
post_max_size integer

Sets max size of post data allowed. This setting also affects file upload. To upload large files, this value must be larger than upload_max_filesize.

If memory limit is enabled by your configure script, memory_limit also affects file uploading. Generally speaking, memory_limit should be larger than post_max_size.

When an integer is used, the value is measured in bytes. You may also use shorthand notation as described in this FAQ.

If the size of post data is greater than post_max_size, the $_POST and $_FILES superglobals are empty. This can be tracked in various ways, e.g. by passing the $_GET variable to the script processing the data, i.e. , and then checking if $_GET['processed'] is set.

> How do I save the individual query statements to a file? That may give
> me a good option for checking a "log" of activity when the process fails
> again.

I'm assuming you are building an $sql variable, so you would write that to a file instead of executing it in a query.
Look at an example here http://php.he.net/manual/en/function.fwrite.php to write data to a file.