From: "Jochem Maas" <jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Jon Westcot" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "PHP General" <php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2007 7:28 PM
Subject: Re:  Looking for ways to prevent timeout

> Jon Westcot wrote:
> > Hi all:
> >
> >     I'm hoping to find a solution to the problem I'm having with my
script timing out while inserting records into a table.

> >     Overall, the process is pretty fast, which is impressive, but when
it gets to the 22,000 to 23,000 record mark, it seems to time out.  I've had
it get up over 26,000 so far, but nothing better than that.  And I only need
to process around 30,000 right now.

> >     I've tried setting max_execution_time to 1800; no improvement.  The
value for max_input_time is -1, which, if I understood it correcctly, is the
same as saying no limit.  And I've tried calling set_time_limit() with both
0 and with 360, none of which seemed to help.

> >     Is there ANY WAY to increase the amount of time I can use when
running a script that will work?  I've tried everything I can find in the
PHP manual.

> >     Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!
>
> http://php.net/ignore_user_abort will help, but nothing will stop you
hitting a max execution time.
> but my guess is your not hitting the max but rather the browser is killing
the connection because it's
> had no response fom your script and as a result apache is killing your
script as it thinks it's no longer