From: Nathan Nobbe
To: Jon Westcot
Cc: PHP General
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2007 5:05 PM
Subject: Re:  Question about php.ini file

On 11/4/07, Jon Westcot <jon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hi Cristian:

      Thanks for the replies.

      In this case, what I've been noticing is that most of the values have
  gone DOWN (i.e., gotten smaller) after I placed my own php.ini file in
  place.  For example, upload_max_filesize was 8M before I placed my file,
  but, afterwards, it was 2M!  I'm trying to increase this size, not decrease
  it.

      Could it be the line-ending characters that are causing the problem?
  Could PHP be seeing the new file but not realizing how to process it, which
  would cause the values to flop over to their defaults?

do you have ssh access to the server?
i recommend you start out by creating the simplest file you can by editing it
directly on the linux server, via vim or w/e.
then using a phpinfo() script, you should see your overridden value in the left
column (those are for the locally overridden values).
some other things to note are;

  1.. apache must be properly configured to allow the .htaccess overrides.
  2.. you cant override all the values in php.ini; see the documentation
regarding which ones can be overriden and where

here is an article regarding the process,
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_php.ini_overrides_w/_.htaccess

-nathan