-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Blanchard [mailto:jblanchard@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 10:12 AM
To: John Moss; Daniel Brown; Robert Cummings
Cc: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

[snip]
Like - what is a
'header'? Everything prior to the <body> statement? I don't think that's
what is meant...
[/snip]

A header/footer is a separate HTML/PHP page that is included with the page
call;

<?php

include("header.html");

....do stuff in the body....

include("footer.html");

?>

All you have to do is create the header and/or footer and include them with
each page. Since the content is typically static in these included files
they are cached and therefore loaded from cache each time they are called
making things very quick.

This is your very first step in creating reusable components for your web
applications. You can see that this will become a very powerful
tool/technique.