please advise

Sorry... meant to send this to the list....

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Philip Thompson <philthathril@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Oct 15, 2007 9:47 AM
Subject: Re:  please advise
To: Louise Sanders <louise@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 10/15/07, Louise Sanders <louise@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi There
>
> I am totally new to PHP and have just tried installing it on my machine
> according to instructions on the php.net manual installation instructions
> page - http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.manual.php
>
> I think I managed to do most steps but I have a few questions:
>
> Under the PHP file, I have icons for php, php-win and php-cgi.   If I
> double
> click on any one of them, it says - "Are you sure you want to run this
> software?"  I have Windows Vista - 32 bit operating system and have
> installed IIS7.  Which one would you recommend that I run? Then, how do I
> know that everything is installed properly?

Make sure you read the specific steps for installing on Windows (
http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.manual.php) and IIS
(http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.iis.php).
To get running with IIS (or any other web server), you need to verify that
your settings are correct and the web server knows that PHP actually exists
on the machine.

To verify that it's installed properly, put this file on your web server...

<?php echo "Hello World"; ?>

If you get "Hello World" (w/o quotes) on that page when you visit it, you
know it's working.

Under optional steps:

> How do I change the doc_root to point to the web servers document_root??
> This was an optional step but not sure how to do this? (sorry basic
> question!) and what extensions would you recommend that I install?

This is a php.ini file setting. Look for the line that says:

doc_root = <some location>

For a Windows installation, you will want it to look something like:

doc_root = C:\Inetpub\wwwroot

Of course, if you set your web server's document root to a different
location, you'll want to reflect that in this line.

I look forward to any advice!

> Many Thanks
>
> Louise
>
> (South Africa)