Weird mystery error

Hey all,

I wrote a symfony app this week for a client, and I'm trying to install
it on their server today.  I am getting a Fatal that I can only assume
is either an Apache 1.3.37 bug, or a PHP 5.2.4 bug.  It's madness.  PHP
is reporting an undefined function, but it's undefined because it's only
a few random letters of the actual function expression in the code.
It's parsing random substrings as functions.  Check this out:

Source of /search/search.php:

Line 1:  <?php
Line 2:  define('SF_ROOT_DIR',    '../../sf_basedir');
Line 3:  define('SF_APP',         'search');
Line 4:  define('SF_ENVIRONMENT', 'prod');
Line 5:  define('SF_DEBUG',       true);
Line 6:  //define('SF_DEBUG',       false);
Line 7:
Line 8:
require_once(SF_ROOT_DIR.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'apps'.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.SF_APP.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'config'.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'config.php');
Line 9:
Line 10: sfContext::getInstance()->getController()->dispatch();
<<EOF

I get this _awesome_ fatal error:

[13-Oct-2007 10:53:42] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function  e()
in [yadda/yadda]/search/search.php on line 11

Now, I know for sure that ../../sf_basedir is the right folder - and get
this - I know this because the script begins to run.  If you're
symfony-aware, it loads and presents my layout, but no contents.  I'm
sure you can spot the e() in the code on line 10, and, an hour or so
ago, the error was slightly different:

Call to undefined function  troller() (in file yadda) on line 11

(see line 10 above to find the "troller")

I did a week of testing on this code, on PHP 5.2.4 and Apache 2.2,
before installing it.  Everything worked and all symfony's unit tests
passed.  It is rock solid.  Now I am having autoloading nightmares
(having to move all my classes into the one directory it successfully
finds files in on the client's host.)

So ... keeping in mind that it can parse search.php well enough to show
me the app layout (via php) and fire the symfony engine ... what causes
Apache or PHP to then double back and do this with the parser?

Oh one more note:  I am using ncftp, and I'm aware it likes to resume
when it shouldn't, so I've been deleting the files to be replaced and
and the cache subfolders, reloading the page to show the webserver it's
gone, and then uploading the replacement files - just a procedure that
I've learned ncftp sometimes necessitates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm scrambling.