Php session settings

Hi all, I am new to PHP this is my second post to this group.

I have tried using the following CMS systems on my web server (remote)
Joomla
CMS made simple
Phpwebsite

And more recently
Coppermine photo album

All of these apps use PHP heavily.

None of these apps seem to run very well and they all require constantly
refreshing the browser.  When I installed "CMS made simple" (nice install
program) it checked for MySQL database, permissions etc. everything passed
the test but it flagged low memory allocation as a possible problem.  The
install succeeded but the program indicated that performance would be poor
or crippled.

My hosting service allows me to add a customized php.ini in the same folder
as the app.  I know nothing about php.ini so I was hoping someone could
point me to which of the many settings would be best to tweak.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks,
Jeff

Quick recap: constantly refreshing browser, could tweak php.ini, total
newbie, no hair left to pull out.