Connect PHP to Remote SQL Server?

Apache and PHP 4.3.9 are on a *nix server and we don't have root access,
HOWEVER we can have the tech support perform pretty much any action except
re-compile PHP (for which they charge), but I'm hoping i could dynamically
load extensions during run-time.  I just need to know which extensions.

PHP has been compiled with unixODBC and dbx (there is no mssql extension on
the server).  These look like likely tools for a SQL server connection, but
nothing works.  I can't find anything about unixODBC in relation to PHP,
unless FreeTDS is mentioned as well.

I tried loading odbc.so during runtime, but it can't be found.  Same for
mssql.so.  Should we add these files to the extensions dir for use with
dl()?  Should we install FreeTDS?  Should we do both?

How can we do this without recompiling PHP?

I have the remote SQL server IP, the port number, the username and the
password.  The web server IP has been added to the allow list for the SQL
Server.

Any advice will be welcome.  Thanks in advance!

Leaning on the PHP list,
Jason