Re: Connect PHP to Remote SQL Server?

On 10/5/07, Jason Paschal <jpaschal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Apache and PHP 4.3.9 are on a *nix server and we don't have root access,
> HOWEVER we can have the tech support perform pretty much any action except
> re-compile PHP (for which they charge), but I'm hoping i could dynamically
> load extensions during run-time.  I just need to know which extensions.

i'd say mssql from freetds.

> I tried loading odbc.so during runtime, but it can't be found.  Same for
> mssql.so.  Should we add these files to the extensions dir for use with
> dl()?  Should we install FreeTDS?  Should we do both?

if they're not there they can't be loaded.

i would say use freetds since i've used it in the past. not sure about
what is the best nowadays for sql server 2k/etc. i used freeTDS with
php 4 to connect to mssql. i forget wihch version. maybe 6.0, maybe
7.0 if there was one?

i'm thinking there is a way for ODBC to connect but again, no clue.

> How can we do this without recompiling PHP?

i don't think you can.

note: with freetds you have to do something like putenv('TDSVER=70');
before connecting if you're having issues. you may have to google for
that too.